Our local fire departments advise that if you have a high efficiency furnace, please be attentive to cleaning the outside vents during the winter. Remove the snow covering the vents as carbon monoxide build up can provide a hazard
Fresh intake pipes usually look like white plastic tubes coming out of the side or back of your house. Even if snow accumulation hasn’t reached your vents, blowing and drifting snow can be enough to create a problem.
As a precaution, if you have a carbon monoxide detector, make sure the batteries are working. If you suspect you have a carbon monoxide issue immediately open doors and windows and leave your home. Most importantly call 911.
Common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness